○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Twitch Recap of a Quiet Stream

Year-end recaps are not just a console thing anymore with twitch.tv now joining the fray in showcasing the summary of your activities on the site for the year. I have returned to stream on twitch again this year after about 1 year of exclusively streaming to YouTube, which happened to be a superior experience when it comes to video management. I am not a popular gamer on both platforms, so it's no longer about the viewers for me. There was a time when I was using game broadcasting as a way to meet new gaming acquaintances, but I know that is no longer what streaming is all about. For me, it's a matter of capturing moments for posterity and it has been an interesting retrospect on my life as gamer. What eventually forced me to abandon YouTube livestreaming however is the ridiculous setup every single time you stream, in which YouTube insisted to treat each stream as a whole new entity instead of providing us a universal dashboard that stays connected and ready for your stream at any given time. Recently, YouTube has even overhauled their mobile streaming experience but still failed to provide the much-needed update to the desktop page. I criticized them for this in the comment section and they actually replied back that they will be focusing on desktop soon. I haven't seen anything yet, but my fingers are still crossed. Anyway, the following stats are just for half of the year 2022 because I started streaming on Twitch again around August.

I don't remember that many chat messages since my return.
They may have accidentally added the lifetime amount for me.

Those 4 streamers are pretty much the only channels I watch regularly.
There are a couple of notable people who would have taken one of those spots
but for some reason, they just don't like to stream anymore.

My motto when it comes to streaming is simple. Whenever I play a game, it will always be streamed. The only exception to this is when I am playing handheld games. The unofficial, secret exception is when I am feeling really down - but this is usually when cool sh!t started happening in the games that I play so I haven't used this rule in the longest time. I don't understand how people can be burned out doing this, unless of course streaming is not something that they truly enjoy and there are other factors that made them do it. For me, it's just a staple of my daily life. It's just a part of my being. Sure, you want to have control and creativity over what you present while streaming but at the end of the day, it's not about putting on a show, but it's all about just showing up for yourself for others to see. It's not the desired content that everyone is looking for, especially in today's selections of manufactured content creators and Internet celebrities, in which I can never compete with. Well, even celebrities from other form of medias are now cashing in on Twitch. On my livestreams, it's a matter of representing what is true, no matter how exciting, no matter how banal, because life is about the ups and the downs, and the everything in between. That was what I interpreted Jason Kan's vision to be when I first started streaming on justin.tv 12 years ago. Gone are the days when regular people can just interact with regular people. It's all about the celebrity culture now. My Twitch days are pretty much numbered, but this is dependent on YouTube fulfilling its promise. Google is not known for fixing things quickly, so maybe 10 more years?

No comments: