○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Letting Go Is Painful Yet Liberating

I have moved so many times these past 5 years that I really don't want to do it anymore. Unfortunately though, I will be doing it again in the near future and I am not really looking forward to it. Being in a new place is actually nice and refreshing. It's the act of moving that is extremely exhausting, especially when it comes to managing the transition of my physical gaming items - not to mention the recent additions of fancy figurines. As much as I hate thinking about moving, I am ready for it however. I have started cutting the fat off my gaming collection as in, you know, those boxes and product enclosures that I know I can certainly live without. At this point, what I have is pretty much everything that I want to be with me until the day I leave this existence.

Moving amiibos is easy. I just layer them in between my clothes and call it a day.

I used to have a large archive of video game magazines that I have collected over my younger years. They were the dominant method of disseminating video game information back then. Once I switched over to the Internet however, these magazines became things of the past. I used to love just picking up a random mag for me to read every now and then though for nostalgia's sake but I can't do that anymore because, I have never mentioned this before but I decided to throw them away two moves ago. Keeping them meant I had to haul two or three very heavy boxes with me and after thinking it through, I decided that it was time to let go. That decision haunted me for a while. I so loved those mags for they were a big part of my video game upbringing. At one point, I actually regretted that decision, thinking I should have done more to protect them, wishing that I were stronger in that moment. After some time, I began to realize that it was a good decision. Those magazines, which counted to a hundred plus, were weighing me down, that their benefits were minimal compared to their burden in relation to the kind of life I am living. During the latest move, I was so glad that I didn't have to worry about bringing them over to my new place and I am certainly delighted that they wouldn't be a factor for my next move.

I have tried both GeForce Now and Stadia - the latter was pretty impressive.
In a decade's time, perhaps even keeping an up-to-date gaming PC will no longer be necessary.

I always tell people that I wish all of my games were digital. I truly meant that. I know that there is still a push out there for physical delivery of games and companies like Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are so afraid to do a full digital conversion even though doing so will make them more money. Those who follow them blindly would still support digital only distributions: these are the same people who would justify everything that these companies do, good or bad. As someone who thinks a lot about our fragile mortality, I know that these physical things are not forever. The same can be said about digital things. Sometimes, we have to let go of something that we love for the sake of living a better life and that extends to everything else. All these objects and people in this world are momentary: Stop trying to hold on to them with an iron grip because if you don't start letting them go now and you are not willing to learn, imagine having to let every single thing go when the Game Over screen is about to flash.

No comments: