○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Loner the Bored Gamer?

I never thought I would ever say this but during the past few weeks, I have been terribly bored of video games. Surely this is just a minor side effect from the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine? So when I get the second shot, it looks like I will be quitting video games forever? I am just being silly here of course, but I am totally serious about the lack of excitement felt about video gaming lately. I think it had something to do with my current obsession with tabletop games.

My tabletop collection is expanding rapidly in less than a month!

No, I am not moving on from video games, it's just that the whole tabletop thing is very new to me, very fresh, thus endlessly exciting. I am just enthralled with the complexity of these tabletop games I now have in my Game Library, with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and its Alien variant now joining the ranks alongside Eldritch Horror. I have played all three games and they are all highly entertaining. I wish they would have released these as digital games. In my current search for more tabletop goodness, I was able to find many popular titles that did get released in their digital forms on Steam! That's a big win for me. One thing for sure however, these physical board games are not a hinderance to my love of video gaming, they enhance my view of gaming as a whole. For my sanity's sake, I am going to limit the maximum number of these board games however, for now. So there is room for 2 more of them perhaps? I have been eyeing Marvel Champions, a more combat oriented superhero game compared to Legendary Marvel, and a supposedly complex role playing game called Mage Knight. It's never to late to discover something new in one's life!

2 comments:

AlleyTheGrey said...

I can appreciate your interest in board games. As I watch you stream you board game play, I ponder more and more about creating a little gaming/reading nook. It certainly is appealing to me.

I think the most complex game we have is CashFlow. It's about finance of course, and was created by a dad seeking a more entertaining way to teach his kids about managing money. The game is not widely available and I think I paid about 80 U.S. dollars to purchase it as a gift for my son.

Loner Gamer said...

Having a dedicated area for my tabletop activities is nice but I am realizing now that I need a much, much bigger table. I do have to separate my board gaming space and my video gaming space, they both just can't co-exist in a small Game Room. I think I will eventually set it up somewhere else with my old computer so I can still capture/stream gameplay. Good luck setting up yours. Knowing you, it's going to look great!

I have never heard of Cashflow in my research but it does sound interesting. That $80 price point seems to be the norm for the more complex tabletop games. They are definitely not cheap and they often fall prey to scalpers because of their limited availability. A recent popular game called Calico - about quilting and cats apparently, you should check it out - is being sold for hundred bucks on Amazon when the MSRP is $39.99. It's crazy.