○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Scariest Jumpscare Is a Title Screen

Looking for a nasty scare in your gaming life? 'Tis the season of everything horror after all. Well, at least for a lot of people. I had planned to do another horror-themed event this month, but I have buried that whole thing deep into the ground since it was just plain dead. There was zero interest in it apparently, and I made the mistake of selecting Resident Evil Village as the first game for me to play. It was too scary. I could barely move for the majority of the 3 broadcast sessions of the game and without any morale support - I even attempted to recruit local help but you know, I am the only gamer in the vicinity - the event was destined to fail. I was thinking about switching to a different game on my Gothtober 2022 list but decided to just switch it up and go back to my yearly Honor Month which preceded it. Usually in October, while everyone else and their great uncles are playing horror games and try to outspook each other, I would instead play anything I want and dedicate the month to those who honor themselves by paving their own paths in their lives, like not following what's trending but instead, always following their own hearts.

RIP Gothtober 2021 - 2022?

Speaking of everything scary and spooky though, I got an unexpected one from just getting to the title screen of a game! Spoiler warning: The actual title screen that scared me will be shown after the page break.

Yeah, they knew this would scare people and they did it anyway.

So I was just happily updating my Steam-Origin games - I didn't know that when you purchase an Electronic Arts game on Steam that requires the usage of Origin that you actually have to launch it once for Origin to recognized that the game has already been installed - when I finally got to Sea of Solitude. Sure, the game is supposed to be horror-themed. Even the covert art for it is creepy as heck where it shows a sea monster trying to swallow a small boat, but I didn't expect for the jump scare to happen immediately. I jumped when that horrible face above, all zoomed in and everything, suddenly showed up on my 55" big screen. I didn't scream but I did feel my body trembling in fear. And I always pay close attention during the first boot up of a game so that I don't miss out on a one-time intro that sometimes happen before a title screen, so you know that this got me good. It was a dishonorable but a good scare, and after trying to avoid those jumpscares in Resident Evil Village, I suppose that I deserved this.

No comments: