○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

PS5 DualSense Now Fully Supported on Steam

It's been in the works for a while but on Monday, Valve officially released the full support for Sony's new PlayStation 5 DualSense controller on Steam, which means all of the controller's functions now work on the Steam client. I have received my test unit today and have used it over multiple games. The verdict? It works flawlessly. I have been using the X-Box One controller as my go to controller on the PC for games that play better with one and I may just switch to the DualSense because it has more features built in. I find the X-Box One controller the most comfortable to hold but I have always despised the d-pad on it. PlayStation controllers always have the best d-pads. At this time however, I don't think there are any games on Steam that is using all the fancy tricks they have for the DualSense - most prominently, the adaptive triggers - but it's just a matter of time before the developers start messing around with them.

I prefer a black controller so it would have been nice if the black and white parts switched places.

Let's just get the obvious thing out of the gate: the DualSense does look rather striking. There's a nice modern feel to its aesthetics due to the stark visual separations between the d-pad, the touchpad, the analogue sticks, and the buttons. Look closer beyond that initial impression however and you will soon realize that this is basically a DualShock 4 controller with a little bit of facelift. It definitely weighs heavier than its predecessor. I do find it silly that the additional inputs introduced by DualShock 4's Back Button Attachment didn't make it to the DualSense. It's quite a missed opportunity. Adding those extra buttons would have justified the controller's ridiculously overpriced MSRP of $69.99.

Steam recognized the DualSense as "PlayStation 5 Controller"

If you already have a good controller for your Steam games, you don't need a DualSense. If you are looking for a convenient microphone to use for your multiplayer gaming session for controller-based games however, the DualSense actually comes equipped with an internal microphone and it sounded pretty good, so it may be a worthy investment. The DualSense controller may not be all that but I am just glad that Valve is ensuring that any new controllers on the market will always be supported on the only gaming platform that matters.

No comments: