○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, June 5, 2020

X-Box One Controller... Update?

Though I don't use it as often anymore ever since Valve allowed every compatible controller full customization access on Steam, I remember the Steam Controller receiving plenty of firmware updates. I don't remember any other controllers that receive such a treatment except for the Vive Controllers. I remember thinking, wow, this controller is really, really awkward to use - the XYAB input placement was horrific - but it's so special that it can receive firmware updates! So I was playing Borderlands 3 on Epic Games earlier using my comfort device, the X-Box One Controller, and I noticed that my character couldn't just stand still where he would keep drifting to the right continuously until I snap the left stick a bit. I have had bad experiences with X-Box 360 controllers before where this problem occurred and went through 3 controllers on that system. At first I was like, oh crap, time to switch to the PlayStation 4 controller but then I went online for a solution. I was surprised to learn that the X-Box One Controllers do get firmware updates. I suppose since I don't have an X-Box One, which would have updated the controller when you connect to the console, it would be easy for me to miss this. Apparently, one can download the X-Box Accessories app from the Windows 10 Store to get this accomplished. I learned something new today. Did it fix my problem? No, Microsoft controllers are just built bad apparently. I'm glad I didn't buy the overpriced elite version.

My controller did need a firmware update. The thing is, Microsoft just wants me to buy another one.

No comments: