○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Vanishing of Loner Gamer

You may have heard about this little adventure game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter by The Astronauts for the Personal Computer. It's been out since last year and apparently had earned a lot of accolades in terms of its graphics and storytelling. Well, outside of those two very generic descriptions about the game, I had absolutely no idea what the game is really all about. Based on the product summary on the Steam store page, it seems to me like it's just a supernatural detective adventure game. Well, the very last thing that I expected when I played the game for the very first time tonight was the game to be scary... Because, well, it bloody is. And it didn't even wait to scare the crap out of me. Not even a build up was used, none of that as the game immediately took away any sense of trust and control quickly after the game began. I was live streaming the game on YouTube Gaming not too long ago and had to stop because I didn't know if things are going to get worse and it is late at night. I will play the game again tomorrow but I wasn't willing to take the risk of being scared senseless tonight. Back to Heroes of the Storm then...

And nobody tagged this game with "Scary" or at least "Horror"?


Update Note - 09/13/2015: I continued the game this morning and I am happy to report that TVoEC didn't go down the slippery slope of jump scares. 2 hours in, I am now impressed by the high level of creativity in both the gameplay and the narrative elements. The continually impressive visuals help too.

Later in the evening: Well, I was wrong. Screw this game!

No comments: