○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, September 15, 2023

All the Lies: A PP Tale

Lies of P, the new action game from Neowiz, does have a really strange title. Well, the whole game is uh, crazy? It's the delirious retelling of the Pinocchio fairy tale? I guess we will see if it makes any sense at all when I finally get to play this game soon. What's more interesting though is the representation of P's face. It looks like recently, the developer has updated P to look more masculine. When I first heard about this game and looked at the close-up of P on the cover art, I really thought P was a lady. I didn't even know that P stood for Pinocchio at that time, I just thought those crazy non-native English speakers were just trying to find intriguing ways to title another one of their games. I know we are all used to the Final Fantasy series by now because it's so popular, but you know that title doesn't make any bit of sense in relation to any of those games.

Notice the difference? The original look on the right and the "reworked" face on the left.

I have a feeling that this game didn't get as much traction the developer was hoping for leading towards the game's release date with early access starting later today (the new face started appearing in announcements starting in June). Perhaps they eventually realized that the character just looked too feminine for the western audience? I know the whole "guys who look like girls" phenom is considered mega kawaii sexy in South Korea where this developer is from, but perhaps they feel that this is not resonating well with the rest of the world? Well, the Japanese probably like the original look since it's hard to find a manly man main characters in role playing games developed there. The reworked face definitely looks more hardened, and the removal of the heavy eye shadow make up as well as the rose lipstick helped out a lot. Even the brooch doesn't look as flamboyant anymore with the blood red center and deep gold petals almost completely washed out. Is this final ditch effort to get people interested in playing this game instead of Starfield and Mortal Kombat 1 successful? I personally think the game is cool even without the alterations, but I am sure that those who have glossed over this game's character before would take a second look thanks to the rather dramatic visual difference. Do you want to play as an innocent looking girl who escaped a K-pop recruitment camp or an angry young man with a serious case of RBF? In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference but I know I have never been into K-pop. J-pop for the win!

No comments: