Hiya folks! Visiting this website and reading my articles help me out tremendously - Thank you so much for all your support!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Point to Pathos: Chapter 3, Part 3

     "No Molly, it isn't."
     Clac looked down at the cup he was holding on his lap. It had been so long since the last time he last drank Ateran. He had almost forgotten that tinge of sweetness of its aftertaste.
     "I shouldn't have come," he said as he looked at Molly. It was clear that Molly was upset and there was emptiness in her stare.
     "You shouldn't have." She replied. "Just finish your Ateran and go."
     "I better just go," he said and walked towards the refreshment area and left his cup on the counter. "Sorry about the mess."
     "That is the least of your concern, Clac," Molly said, looking away towards a distant corner of the room. "Not that anything matters anyway."
     "I'm sorry, Molly," Clac walked slowly towards the exit and he stopped before he stepped out. "Let's not see each other again. Goodbye Molly."
     Clac didn't hear any response from Molly and he stepped out of the apartment. The door slid close immediately behind him.
     "I made a mistake," he whispered under his breath and left.
     When he got home, Clac was relieved that Jupiter wasn't there. He knew that he needed some time alone. After cleaning himself up, he laid in bed and looked through the large oval window on the opposite wall. He could still remember the excitement of being assigned to a wall block. He was also reminded of the first time he and Jupiter made love with the view of the actual stars witnessing it all.
     The memories of Earth felt like they were no longer associated with his life. The moment he stepped on board Staroam-5, he had left everything behind. Everything, including the woman he was certain to be his life long companion.
     "I shouldn't have gone to see her," Clac muttered to himself, with a certain degree of certainty. Yet, he knew that he had to. Clac never liked to dwell on the past but he knew that the event that just transpired could prove to be problematic.
     Eventually.
     Suddenly, he could hear the the front door opening and closing, followed by a quick, continuous rustling sound.
     "I am in the bedroom, Jupe," he yelled out.
     "What are you doing in there Clac?" She said from the other room.
     "Why don't you come in here and find out?"
     "What is this all about?" She asked as she opened the door. "Long day?"
     "You shouldn't have to ask me. You should know Jupe," he said and smiled.
     "I am surprised that your division already received the new replacement orders. Praeston's diligence never fails to amaze me."
     "Isn't it a bit ahead of time? We are talking about major repairs here."
     "Why?" She asked playfully as she sat on the side of the bed. "You and your crew can't handle it?"
     "You know I can handle anything you can throw at me, babe," he said as he pulled her closer to him. "Do you want me to show you how?"
     She leaned in and gave him a kiss on the lips before quickly pulling her face away.
     "Ateran?"
     "Yeah, I stopped by the bar with the guys."
     "Really? But you told me you hated it."
     "And I still do," he moved his face closer to hers and worked up a slow, sensual kiss. "Anything else you want to complain about?"
     "You are such a sloppy kisser," she said, pushing his face away and laughed. "Next time we go out, we are drinking Ateran."
     "Sounds like a good deal to me."
     "Someone had a change of heart, eh?"
     "It actually doesn't taste as bad as I remembered it."
     "When was the last time you had it?"
     "Back on Earth, actually."
     Clac searched for that little squint in Jupiter's eyes that he would normally see when she caught him lying and it wasn't there. He did detect curiosity however as Jupiter involuntarily tilted her head slightly to the right.
     "Oh really?"
     "My dad drank a lot of it, so it was easy access for me."
     "I didn't know it was Ateran. You never mentioned that part before, Clac."
     "I don't think it would have made a difference. Remember what that dead bastard said to me?"
     "Let's not let that ruin our moment Clac..."
     "Your mother and I fucked," Clac said, mimicking his deceased father's gruff voice. "There was nothing special about you being born into this world. If there was anything special about it, that would be with the two people doing the bloody fucking."
     Jupiter shook her head.
     "It could have been anything and he would have said the same thing. And I was 7 years old when he told me that. Galaxy, I hated him."
     "I remember Clac."

No comments: